Call for Art: ARTOBERFEST
An exhibit at 159 Derby Street, Salem MA and in our virtual galleries!
Open to members and non-member artists!
We invite our our Salem Arts Association members and community of artists to explore Salem’s history with Halloween, Witchcraft, and Autumn in New England. The resulting exhibit represents diverse interpretations of the theme and how, by bringing them together, we create a collective understanding.
Artists may also submit work at the same time for our 14th Annual "Inspired by PEM" Exhibit. See call info here.
Salem Arts Member Artists may also drop off, replace, or pick up retail shop merchandise at the same time. See Retail Shop Guidelines for details.
The artwork in "Artoberfest" will be exhibited in our galleries at 159 Derby Street, our virtual online gallery, our online shop, and social media.
- Drop Off Submissions: Saturday, August 29 & Sunday, August 30, 2020, 12:00 PM - 5:00 PM - You must sign-up for a drop off time.
- Notification of inclusion/exclusion: Notification by email by Friday, September 4.
- Pick up of unaccepted work: Any work not accepted will need to be picked up Saturday, September 5, 12:00 – 5:00 p.m., Sunday, September 6, 12:00 – 5:00 p.m. or by appointment.
- Exhibition Dates: September 5 through Sunday November 8, 2020
- Gallery Hours: Saturday and Sunday from 12:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Pick Up of Artwork: November 7 & 8, 2020, 12-5pm
In order to insure the safety of our members during the Covid-19 pandemic we are requiring that all artists follow these guidelines:
1. Sign-up for a drop off time. We are required to limit the number of people in the galleries. If you do not sign up for a drop-off time, we might not be able to drop off work. You can use the same drop off time if you are submitting work to our Artoberfest Exhibit.
Drop Off Time Sign Up
2. Have all of your paperwork and payment ready. If you are a member, make sure your membership is up-to-date.Gallery Take In Form Download
3. Submit images of your work to be included in our online shop. Instruction for submitting images can be found below. Submit Artwork Info and Images Online
Artwork Drop-Off: Saturday, August 29 & Sunday, August 30, 2020 12-5pm.
Drop Off Time Sign Up
Exhibit Dates: September 5 - November 8
Laura Tempest Zakroff is a professional artist, author, dancer, designer, and Modern Traditional Witch based in New England. She holds a BFA from RISD (The Rhode Island School of Design) and her artwork has received awards and honors worldwide. Her work embodies myth and the esoteric through her drawings and paintings, jewelry, talismans, and other designs.
Laura is the author of the best-selling books Weave the Liminal and Sigil Witchery, as well as The Witch’s Cauldron, and the co-author of The Witch’s Altar. She blogs for Patheos as A Modern Traditional Witch, Witches & Pagans as Fine Art Witchery, and contributes to The Witches' Almanac, Ltd. Her first oracle deck, The Liminal Spirits Oracle, was released this past June from Llewellyn Worldwide and has been receiving much critical acclaim.
She helps facilitate social change at the grassroot through wearearadia.org, a movement focused on magical resistance and education. Laura edited The New Aradia: A Witch's Handbook to Magical Resistance (Revelore Press) which was released in 2018 and features work from over two dozen magical practitioners. You can find an extensive collection of sigils for change – many of which were co-created with her Sigil Witchery workshop students – on her Patheos blog. Visit her at www.LauraTempestZakroff.com.
Location: Salem Arts Association Gallery, 159 Derby Street, Salem MA 01970, our Virtual Online Galleries and Online Shop
Submission Criteria: This exhibit is open to current Salem Arts member artists and non-member artists who may submit work in any medium for the juror’s consideration. This exhibit encourages artists to submit artworks that adhere to our theme.
Salem Arts Gallery Committee representatives will curate this exhibit. Criteria will be based on execution quality, presentation/framing, and space availability.
All artists may submit up to three items per exhibit.
Please download the gallery submission form and provide all required information requested, and follow instructions on the form. Printed copies must be submitted with your submissions at drop off. Part of the form must be attached to your artwork.
You may also submit your artwork information along with photos for online use in our shop and social media using our online form or email photos with a copy of your forms to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Submit Artwork Info and Images Online
Artwork Presentation MUST adhere to our framing guidelines for acceptance. Please review all gallery submission guidelines .
Rules & Regulations:
Please be sure to read the Salem Arts Association Artist Agreement and ensure you accept the agreement on your online member profile page. Non-members must also agree to our agreement provided at the gallery.
Please contact email@example.com with questions.
For tips on photographing your work here's a few helpful links.
FRAMING AND PRESENTING YOUR ARTWORK
Salem Arts Galleries and Shop utilizes a hanging system consisting of a wire or rod suspended from a rail near the ceiling. We rarely use nails in our walls. Because of this it's very important to frame and present your work properly by following these rules.
Submitted items will be inspected at take in. We're having a lot of issues with poor framing.
- All work MUST be properly framed or otherwise presented for hanging.
- No wet paintings will be accepted
- Works on paper must be under glass (Not Plastic).
- Plastic clip frames, Table frames (with leaning back), and document frames will NOT be accepted in the gallery. Don't use them.
- Framed items must include a taught wire properly fastened to the top quarter of the frame back.
- Artwork framed using sawtooth hangars, triangle hangars, and holes as part of the frame will be rejected.
- Loose wires or wired below the top quarter will be rejected. If you can see the wire above the frame it's wrong.
THIS IS PERFECTION