Call for Art: "The Heart of History - The House of Seven Gables Through Artists Eyes" - November 8, 12-5
"The aspect of the venerable mansion has always affected me like a human countenance... It was itself like a great human heart, with a life of its own, and full of rich and sombre reminisces. The deep projection of the section story gave the house a meditative look, that you could not pass it without the idea that it had secret to keep."
- Nathaniel Hawthorne
Salem Arts Association members are invited to visit, be inspired and to create art based on the historic buildings and gardens of the House of Seven Gables. Work created at any time is eligible to display.
The following guidelines will be in place for visiting The House of the Seven Gables :
- You must book your timeslot in advance at https://8149a.blackbaudhosting.com/8149a/Fall-2020-Gardens-and-Grounds-Experience-A-31Dec2020. You can use the discount code SalemArtsOct2020 for free admission Monday – Thursday from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. through November 11. We do not have occupancy issues on these days and the one-hour time limit will not apply to Salem Arts members. We cannot accept walk-ins and the only way to access the site is with advance tickets. Please do not share this discount code on social media or with non-Salem Arts Association members.
- After checking in, you will receive a sticker. This must be worn the entire time you are on-site. Make sure you also have a Salem Arts Association stickers (available at the gallery!) to proudly identify yourself as a member.
- You must wear a face covering over your nose and mouth for the duration of your time on-site. We’ll ask visitors to maintain social distance from you and expect you to do the same for our visitors. If these safety guidelines are not followed, our staff may need to ask you to leave.
- If you are doing plein air painting and drawing you will need to protect the grounds from your art materials with drop cloths.
- You will be able to use your own small tables but not the iron tables which are for H7G visitors only.
- You must bring your own easels and other tools. We suggest bringing your own supply of water and ask that you plan to wash supplies at your studio or home after your visit. We have a limited occupancy in our visitor center and restroom use is restricted.
The artwork in "Heart of History" will be exhibited in our galleries at 159 Derby Street, our virtual online gallery, our online shop, and social media.
- Drop Off Submissions: Sunday, November 8, 12:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Notification of inclusion/exclusion: Notification by email by Wednesday November 11, 2020.
- Pick up of unaccepted work: Any work not accepted will need to be picked up Saturday, November 14, 12:00 – 2:00 p.m.
- Exhibition Dates: November 14 to December 20
- Gallery Hours are every Saturday and Sunday from 12:00 – 6:00 p.m.
- Pick Up of Artwork: TBD
Sign-up for a drop off time.
We are required to limit the number of people in the galleries. If you do not sign up for a drop-off time, you might not be able to drop off work. You can use the same drop off time if you are submitting work for the shop inventory and/or "Holiday Showcase" exhibit.
Drop Off Time Sign Up
Be Sure to Have all of your paperwork and payment ready at Drop Off. If you are a member, make sure your membership is up-to-date.
Gallery Take In Form Download
Submit images of your work to be included in our online shop.
Instruction for submitting images can be found below.
Submit Artwork Info and Images Online
Exhibit Chairpersons and Salem Arts Gallery Committee will jury this exhibit. Criteria will be based on execution quality and space available. Every effort will be made to include as many submissions as possible.
Location: Salem Arts Association Gallery, 159 Derby Street, Salem MA 01970, our Virtual Online Galleries and Online Shop
Submission Criteria: This exhibit is open to current Salem Arts member artists who may submit work in any medium for the juror’s consideration. This exhibit encourages artists to submit artworks that adhere to our theme. Work created at any time is eligible for display.
Salem Arts Gallery Committee representatives will curate this exhibit. Criteria will be based on execution quality, presentation/framing, and space availability.
- Current Salem Arts members fee is $10.00 per item submission.
- First Item FREE for "Masters Circle" Artist Members
- All artists may submit up to three items per exhibit.
Please download the gallery submission form and provide all required information requested, and follow instructions on the form. Printed copies must be submitted with your submissions at drop off. Part of the form must be attached to your artwork.
You may also submit your artwork information along with photos for online use in our shop and social media using our online form or email photos with a copy of your forms to firstname.lastname@example.org .
Submit Artwork Info and Images Online
Artwork Presentation MUST adhere to our framing guidelines for acceptance. Please review all gallery submission guidelines .
Rules & Regulations:
Please be sure to read the Salem Arts Association Artist Agreement and ensure you accept the agreement on your online member profile page. Non-members must also agree to our agreement provided at the gallery.
Sales and Volunteer Requirements:
Exhibiting Salem Arts member artists are required to volunteer 3+ hours per month when your artwork is on display in the gallery or the gallery shop. Please sign up for a gallery host time slot or make arrangements for alternate volunteer opportunities. Click here for volunteer information and sign up.
Please contact email@example.com with questions.
For tips on photographing your work here's a few helpful links.
FRAMING AND PRESENTING YOUR ARTWORK:
All submissions must be properly framed, matted, appropriately wired (no saw tooth hangars), and ready to hang. Wired images must have a tight wire positioned within the top quarter of the image height. All submissions will be inspected at take-in to assure they adhere to gallery standards. Submissions not meeting our standards will be rejected. Read our framing guidelines
Salem Arts Galleries and Shop utilizes a hanging system consisting of a wire or rod suspended from a rail near the ceiling. We rarely use nails in our walls. Because of this it's very important to frame and present your work properly by following these rules.
Submitted items will be inspected at take in. We're having a lot of issues with poor framing.
- All work MUST be properly framed or otherwise presented for hanging.
- No wet paintings will be accepted
- Works on paper must be under glass (Not Plastic).
- Plastic clip frames, Table frames (with leaning back), and document frames will NOT be accepted in the gallery. Don't use them.
- Framed items must include a taught wire properly fastened to the top quarter of the frame back.
- Artwork framed using sawtooth hangars, triangle hangars, and holes as part of the frame will be rejected.
- Loose wires or wired below the top quarter will be rejected. If you can see the wire above the frame it's wrong.
THIS IS PERFECTION