Call For Art: "Becoming: Transformative Journeys"
The mythical hero’s journey is a tale of an ordinary person who goes on an adventure, meets their mentor, endures life-changing trials, learns an important lesson, transforms, and returns a hero. What is your transformative journey? Salem Arts Association invites artists to submit artwork that are inspired by transformative journeys and the act of becoming.
The artwork in this exhibit will be on display in our galleries at 159 Derby Street and social media.
- Drop Off Submissions: Sunday, July 30, 2023, 12:00 – 5:00 p.m..
- Notification of inclusion/exclusion: Notification by email by Thursday, August 3, 2023.
- Pick up of unaccepted work: Any work not accepted will need to be picked up Saturday, August 5, 2023, 12:00 – 3:00 p.m.
- Exhibition Dates: August 5 - September 9, 2023
- Gallery Hours are every Saturday and Sunday from 12:00 – 6:00 p.m.
- Pick Up of Artwork: Sunday, September 10, 2023, 12:00 – 5:00.
In order to insure the safety of our members during the Covid-19 pandemic we are requiring that all artists follow these guidelines:
Arrive with your artwork, printed forms, and submission fees ready.
Be Sure to Have all of your paperwork and payment ready at Drop Off. If you are a member, make sure your membership is up-to-date.
Gallery Take In Form Download
Exhibit Chairpersons and Salem Arts Gallery Committee will curate this exhibit. Criteria will be based on execution quality and space available. Every effort will be made to include as many submissions as possible.
Location: Salem Arts Association Gallery, 159 Derby Street, Salem MA 01970, our Virtual Online Galleries and Online Shop
Submission Criteria: This exhibit is open to current Salem Arts member artists who may submit work in any medium for the juror’s consideration. This exhibit encourages artists to submit artworks that adhere to our theme. Work created at any time is eligible for display.
Salem Arts Gallery Committee representatives will curate this exhibit. Criteria will be based on execution quality, presentation/framing, and space availability.
- Current Salem Arts members fee is $10.00 per item submission.
- Non-member fee is $20.00 per item submission
- First Item FREE for "Masters Circle" Artist Members
- All artists may submit up to THREE items.
- All mediums, including 2D, 3D, and multi-media are accepted.
Please download the gallery submission form and provide all required information requested, and follow instructions on the form. Printed copies must be submitted with your submissions at drop off. Part of the form must be attached to your artwork.
Artwork Presentation MUST adhere to our framing guidelines for acceptance. Please review all gallery submission guidelines.
Rules & Regulations:
Please be sure to read the Salem Arts Association Artist Agreement and ensure you accept the agreement on your online member profile page. Non-members must also agree to our agreement provided at the gallery.
Exhibiting Salem Arts member artists are required to volunteer 3+ hours per month when your artwork is on display in the gallery or the gallery shop. Please sign up for a gallery host time slot or make arrangements for alternate volunteer opportunities. Click here for volunteer information and sign up.
Please contact Gallery@SalemArts.org with questions.
FRAMING AND PRESENTING YOUR ARTWORK:
All submissions must be properly framed, matted, appropriately wired (no saw tooth hangars), and ready to hang. Wired images must have a tight wire positioned within the top quarter of the image height. All submissions will be inspected at take-in to assure they adhere to gallery standards. Submissions not meeting our standards will be rejected. Read our framing guidelines
Salem Arts Galleries and Shop utilizes a hanging system consisting of a wire or rod suspended from a rail near the ceiling. We rarely use nails in our walls. Because of this it's very important to frame and present your work properly by following these rules.
Submitted items will be inspected at take in. We're having a lot of issues with poor framing.
- All work MUST be properly framed or otherwise presented for hanging.
- No wet paintings will be accepted
- Works on paper must be under glass (Not Plastic).
- Plastic clip frames, Table frames (with leaning back), and document frames will NOT be accepted in the gallery. Don't use them.
- Framed items must include a taught wire properly fastened to the top quarter of the frame back.
- Artwork framed using sawtooth hangars, triangle hangars, and holes as part of the frame will be rejected.
- Loose wires or wired below the top quarter will be rejected. If you can see the wire above the frame it's wrong.
THIS IS PERFECTION