Call for Art: ARTOBERFEST
An exhibit at 159 Derby Street, Salem MA and in our virtual galleries!
Open to members and non-member artists from across New England!
We invite our our Salem Arts Association members and community of artists to explore Salem’s history with Halloween, Witchcraft, and Autumn in New England. The resulting exhibit represents diverse interpretations of the theme and how, by bringing them together, we create a collective understanding.
Salem Arts Member Artists may also drop off, replace, or pick up retail shop merchandise at the same time. See Retail Shop Guidelines for details.
The artwork in "Artoberfest" will be exhibited in our galleries at 159 Derby Street, our virtual online gallery, our online shop, and social media.
- Drop Off Submissions: Sunday, August 28, 2022, 12:00 PM - 5:00 PM. and Monday, August 29, 2022, 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM.
- Notification of inclusion/exclusion via email by Thursday, September 1.
- Pick up of unaccepted work: Any work not accepted will need to be picked up Saturday, September 3, 12:00 – 5:00 p.m., Sunday, September 4, 12:00 – 5:00 p.m. or by appointment.
- Exhibition Dates: September 3 through Saturday November 6, 2022
- Opening Reception: Friday September 9, 2022 from 6-8 PM
- Gallery Hours: Saturday and Sunday from 12:00 – 6:00 p.m.
- Pick Up of Artwork: November 7, 2021, 12-5pm
Be Sure to Have all of your paperwork and payment ready at Drop Off.
If you are a member, make sure your membership is up-to-date.
Gallery Take In Form Download
Exhibit Chairpersons and Salem Arts Gallery Committee will curate this exhibit. Criteria will be based on execution quality and space available. Every effort will be made to include as many submissions as possible.
Our Guest Juror: Erika Deilh-Marcus and Christian Marcus, Owners of Deilh Marcus & Co.
Submission Criteria: This exhibit is open to current Salem Arts member artists and non-members who may submit work in any medium for the juror’s consideration. This exhibit encourages artists to submit artworks that adhere to our theme. Work created at any time is eligible for display.
Salem Arts Gallery Committee representatives will curate this exhibit. Criteria will be based on execution quality, presentation/framing, and space availability.
- Current Salem Arts members fee is $10.00 per item submission.
- Non-member fee is $20.00 per item submission
- First Item FREE for "Masters Circle" Artist Members
- All artists may submit up to THREE items.
- All mediums, including 2D, 3D, and multi-media are accepted.
Please download the gallery submission form and provide all required information requested, and follow instructions on the form. Printed copies must be submitted with your submissions at drop off. Part of the form must be attached to your artwork.
Artwork Presentation MUST adhere to our framing guidelines for acceptance. Please review all gallery submission guidelines.
Rules & Regulations:
Please be sure to read the Salem Arts Association Artist Agreement and ensure you accept the agreement on your online member profile page. Non-members must also agree to our agreement provided at the gallery.
Per the artist agreement Salem Arts Members agree to a 35% commission to Salem Arts Association. Non-member commission is 50%.
Exhibiting Salem Arts member artists are required to volunteer 3+ hours per month when your artwork is on display in the gallery or the gallery shop. Please sign up for a gallery host time slot or make arrangements for alternate volunteer opportunities. Click here for volunteer information and sign up.
Please contact Gallery@SalemArts.org with questions.
FRAMING AND PRESENTING YOUR ARTWORK:
All submissions must be properly framed, matted, appropriately wired (no saw tooth hangars), and ready to hang. Wired images must have a tight wire positioned within the top quarter of the image height. All submissions will be inspected at take-in to assure they adhere to gallery standards. Submissions not meeting our standards will be rejected. Read our framing guidelines
Salem Arts Galleries and Shop utilizes a hanging system consisting of a wire or rod suspended from a rail near the ceiling. We rarely use nails in our walls. Because of this it's very important to frame and present your work properly by following these rules.
Submitted items will be inspected at take in. We're having a lot of issues with poor framing.
- All work MUST be properly framed or otherwise presented for hanging.
- No wet paintings will be accepted
- Works on paper must be under glass (Not Plastic).
- Plastic clip frames, Table frames (with leaning back), and document frames will NOT be accepted in the gallery. Don't use them.
- Framed items must include a taught wire properly fastened to the top quarter of the frame back.
- Artwork framed using sawtooth hangars, triangle hangars, and holes as part of the frame will be rejected.
- Loose wires or wired below the top quarter will be rejected. If you can see the wire above the frame it's wrong.
THIS IS PERFECTION