Call for Art: "Image / Imagination" - April 24 & 25, 12-4pm
When I'm ready to make a photograph... I quite obviously see in my mind's eye something that is not literally there... I'm interested in something which is built up from within, rather than just extracted from without. - Ansel Adams
imagination, n. A warehouse of facts, with poet and liar in joint ownership. - Ambrose Bierce
Image / Imagination is an exhibit that considers the way the artist imbues artwork with their personal statement. All art can be viewed as an imaginative interpretation of the physical world. Possible work includes but is not limited to surreal art, fantasy art, dystopic images, wearable apparel that serves as a costume or disguise and masks. All mediums welcome.
The artwork in "Image / Imagination" will be exhibited in our galleries at 159 Derby Street, our virtual online gallery, our online shop, and social media.
- Drop Off Submissions: Sunday, April 24 & 25, 12:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Notification of inclusion/exclusion: Notification by email by Thursday, April 29.
- Pick up of unaccepted work: Any work not accepted will need to be picked up Saturday, May 8, 12:00 – 2:00 p.m.
- Exhibition Dates: May 1 to June 26
- Gallery Hours are every Saturday and Sunday from 12:00 – 6:00 p.m.
- Pick Up of Artwork: Sunday, June 26
Sign-up for a drop off time.
We are required to limit the number of people in the galleries. If you do not sign up for a drop-off time, you might not be able to drop off work. You can use the same drop off time if you are submitting work for the shop inventory .
Arrive at your chosen time with your artwork, printed forms, and submission fees ready. Be sure to email your forms to Gallery@SalemArts.org in advance for pre-processing to speed up your take in time.
If you need help during take in you MUST sign up for two consecutive slots to have onsite help OR contact Gallery@SalemArts.org to make an appointment for help/training.
Drop Off Time Sign Up
Be Sure to Have all of your paperwork and payment ready at Drop Off. If you are a member, make sure your membership is up-to-date.
Gallery Take In Form Download
Exhibit Chairpersons and Salem Arts Gallery Committee will curate this exhibit. Criteria will be based on execution quality and space available. Every effort will be made to include as many submissions as possible.
Location: Salem Arts Association Gallery, 159 Derby Street, Salem MA 01970, our Virtual Online Galleries and Online Shop
Submission Criteria: This exhibit is open to current Salem Arts member artists who may submit work in any medium for the juror’s consideration. This exhibit encourages artists to submit artworks that adhere to our theme. Work created at any time is eligible for display.
Salem Arts Gallery Committee representatives will curate this exhibit. Criteria will be based on execution quality, presentation/framing, and space availability.
- Current Salem Arts members fee is $10.00 per item submission, 3 submissions for $25.
- Non-members fee is $15.00 per submission.
- Creative Salem members pay the Salem Arts member fee discount.*
- First Item FREE for "Masters Circle" Artist Members
- All artists may submit up to three items per exhibit
Please download the gallery submission form and provide all required information requested, and follow instructions on the form. Printed copies must be submitted with your submissions at drop off. Part of the form must be attached to your artwork.
Artwork Presentation MUST adhere to our framing guidelines for acceptance. Please review all gallery submission guidelines.
Rules & Regulations:
Please be sure to read the Salem Arts Association Artist Agreement and ensure you accept the agreement on your online member profile page. Non-members must also agree to our agreement provided at the gallery.
Sales and Volunteer Requirements:
Exhibiting Salem Arts member artists are required to volunteer 3+ hours per month when your artwork is on display in the gallery or the gallery shop. Please sign up for a gallery host time slot or make arrangements for alternate volunteer opportunities. Click here for volunteer information and sign up.
Please contact Gallery@SalemArts.org with questions.
Submit images of your work to be included in our online shop.
We request you also submit your artwork information along with photos for online use in our shop and social media using our online form or email photos with a copy of your forms to Gallery@SalemArts.org .
Instruction for submitting images can be found below.
Submit Artwork Info and Images Online
Salem Arts now has an online shop. Appropriate inventory will be included online if we receive good quality photos of your work. See the Salem Arts Online Shop for examples of what looks best.
- Images should be square.
- Most smart phones or digital cameras will make sufficient images using the square photo option.
- Background should be neutral or dark color, White, Grey or Black are preferred.
- If your items are framed include the frame in your image so people can see what they're buying
- Name your files with your inventory ID that corresponds to each item. Append with A, B, C when submitting multiple images (up to three) for each item. e.g. ABC-123.
- Size should be greater than 1800 pixels wide or tall
- file format must be JPG (JPEG), or PNG
- Focus on framed artwork, jewelry, clothing, 3D items such as ceramics, glass, sculpture, etc. Cards and matted prints will not be made available online
For tips on photographing your work here's a few helpful links.
FRAMING AND PRESENTING YOUR ARTWORK:
All submissions must be properly framed, matted, appropriately wired (no saw tooth hangars), and ready to hang. Wired images must have a tight wire positioned within the top quarter of the image height. All submissions will be inspected at take-in to assure they adhere to gallery standards. Submissions not meeting our standards will be rejected. Read our framing guidelines
Salem Arts Galleries and Shop utilizes a hanging system consisting of a wire or rod suspended from a rail near the ceiling. We rarely use nails in our walls. Because of this it's very important to frame and present your work properly by following these rules.
Submitted items will be inspected at take in. We're having a lot of issues with poor framing.
- All work MUST be properly framed or otherwise presented for hanging.
- No wet paintings will be accepted
- Works on paper must be under glass (Not Plastic).
- Plastic clip frames, Table frames (with leaning back), and document frames will NOT be accepted in the gallery. Don't use them.
- Framed items must include a taught wire properly fastened to the top quarter of the frame back.
- Artwork framed using sawtooth hangars, triangle hangars, and holes as part of the frame will be rejected.
- Loose wires or wired below the top quarter will be rejected. If you can see the wire above the frame it's wrong.
THIS IS PERFECTION