Class is Sold Out
Release Your Inner Artist - Using Pastels to Turn Ordinary into Extraordinary
Instructor: Janet Schwartz
LINK INFO TO JOIN CLASS SESSIONS
Topic: Salem AA - Pastel Class: Ordinary to Extraordinary
Time: Jan 9, 2021 10:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Every week on Sat, until Jan 30, 2021, 4 occurrence(s)
- Jan 9, 2021 10:00 AM
- Jan 16, 2021 10:00 AM (Cancelled due to family emergency)
- Jan 23, 2021 10:00 AM
- Jan 30, 2021 10:00 AM
- Feb 6, 2021 10:00 AM (Added due to cancellation)
Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your calendar system.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 853 2922 0129
One tap mobile
+16465588656,,85329220129#,,,,*7287075# US (New York)
+13017158592,,85329220129#,,,,*7287075# US (Washington D.C)
Dial by your location
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington D.C)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
Meeting ID: 853 2922 0129
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kky3PCYNN
Using reference photos, each online class will introduce new concepts and strategies for transforming ordinary images into extraordinary paintings. The class will include instructor demonstrations, interaction, and individual critiques.
Janet Schwartz designed the Release Your Inner Artist programs as a practical strategy for getting beginners started on painting or taking a fresh approach, for experienced painters. In this unique and fun program, students use pastels to create work that explores value and composition.
Each class reviews art elements previously discussed and introduces new concepts with demonstrations and plenty of hands-on time to apply what is learned. The classes are energetic, highly interactive and individualized to student needs. Most students are inspired to continue painting long after the program ends.
Students will meet from 10 am -12 noon on Saturday mornings for 4 weeks, January 9 - 30th, using the online platform, Zoom.
- Saturday January 9, 2020 - 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Saturday January 16, 2020 - 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Saturday January 23, 2020 - 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Saturday January 30, 2020 - 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Payment must be made online at time of registration
$135 for Salem Arts Members
$175 for Non Members
- Beginner to intermediate level.
- Online class capacity: up to 8 students
- If the class is full sign up for the wait list.
- Students will need a computer or iPad equipped with a camera to access the zoom application.
- Art Supplies must be purchased by the student prior to the class starting.
You will need to provide your own class materials
- Small Sketchbook
- Compressed /vine charcoal or graphite for preliminary sketches (or a pencil works, if need be)
- Kneaded eraser
- Pastel set – Soft or hard pastels. DO NOT PURCHASE OIL PASTELS. Student-level sets okay – should contain variety of darks & lights Richeson, Nupastel, Rembrandt, Faber Castell sets are good.
- Sanded paper (UArt, 400 grit, 9x12”, natural not dark). A pad of 10 or single sheets Uart We will use 1 sheet for each lesson.
- Drawing board, foam core board, or any rigid surface to go under the sanded paper - larger than 9 x 12
- 1” tape (blue painters tape best) to attach paper to the board
- 1” brush (inexpensive) for underpainting
- Optional: Single sticks of dark pastels since many sets dont contain darks: Nupastel blue violet (244) bottle green (298), spruce blue (305)
Materials Found at Home
- Rubbing alcohol, if available (water if not)
- Small container (yogurt containers work great) for alcohol
- Paper towels
- Salem Arts Members receive a 10% discount at "Salem Art Supply" and "Artists and Craftsman" stores.
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED
If spaces are filled register for the wait list and we can let you know if we have a cancellation.
About Janet Schwartz
Trained as an art teacher, Janet is a life-long educator who divides her time teaching art, creating and exhibiting her work throughout New England and beyond as well as working in corporate training. Her workshops focus on the importance of value and composition in painting. Working primarily in pastels, Janet is drawn to bold images, dramatic light, contrast, and deep perspective. She is particularly inspired by urban landscapes, traffic and coastal community images.
As a practicing artist and art workshop instructor, Janet uses pastels, oils, and charcoal to explore the variation of light in nature and architecture. She is particularly drawn to the chaos and unexpected beauty of urban landscapes, traffic and, more recently, ships and the shoreline. Janet brings a very personal and unique viewpoint to her work, which dramatically captures the mood of her emotionally-charged subjects.
Janet has a B.A in Art Education, is a Signature member PSA, IAPs - Master Circle, Signature Member PPSCC