Fearless Pastel Painting Workshop - The Art of Advocacy
Saturday October 17 from 1-4 PM
THIS WORKSHOP IS FREE
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED
- ART MATERIALS INCLUDED!
- LIMITED TO ONLY 6 PARTICIPANTS
If spaces are filled register for the wait list and we can let you know if we have a cancellation or add another class
Instructor: Janet Schwartz
In this three-hour virtual workshop designed for beginners and aspiring artists, we will use pastels to explore the importance of value and how to simplify what you see without get stuck on details.
Students will be asked to paint from a photograph that initially looks like an abstraction. As additional photos are used of the same subject that are more and more in focus, the painting evolves into something recognizable. Focusing on value and composition, we will paint the image together, step by step, as the instructor demonstrates and guides students to complete the work. The resulting artwork will inspire a brief discussion of the role of art in advocacy.
- This program is sponsored by Salem Arts Association and funded by the generous support of the Salem Cultural Council.
- This virtual workshop is free and open to the first six registered, with a waitlist in case of cancellations.
- Art kits containing workshop materials will be available for pickup in Salem at no cost.
- Students will need an iPad or computer (can be a Mac or PC) to access the zoom application.
- Virtual Workshop Details ands art supply pick up information will be sent to registered participants prior to the workshop event.
This workshop is FREE, but donations to Salem Arts Association are appreciated.
Please Donate to support Salem Arts
About Janet Schwartz
As a practicing artist and art workshop instructor, Janet uses pastels, oils, and charcoal to explore the variation of light in nature and architecture. She is particularly drawn to the chaos and unexpected beauty of urban landscapes, traffic and, more recently, ships and the shoreline. Janet brings a very personal and unique viewpoint to her work, which dramatically captures the mood of her emotionally-charged subjects.
She currently divides her time working in corporate training, teaching art, and creating and exhibiting her work throughout New England. Her workshops focus on the importance of value and composition in painting.
Janet has a B.A in Art Education, is a Signature member PSA, IAPs - Master Circle, Signature Member PPSCC
This program is funded by the generous support of the Salem Cultural Council.