Call for Art: “Salon Des Refusés”
In 1863 the most prestigious exhibition in Paris, the Paris Salon, rejected art work in the new Impressionist style. Manet, Courbet, Whistler and Pissaro were among the rejected artists. In protest they exhibited their work in their own exhibit, the now famous "Salon des Refuses," which brought their beautiful and innovative work to the public - and made them famous.
In recognition of the fact that a lot of wonderful work doesn't get accepted into art exhibits we are holding our own "Salon Des Refusés." We encourage artists to drop off work not accepted by the Salem Arts Festival or other exhibits - or any work that you feel represents this theme (e.g., impressionist or experimental styles or mediums, etc.).
We encourage ALL local artists to submit your work to Salem Arts Festival using this link were: https://salemartsfestival.com/festival-application/juried-gallery/. If you are not one fo the lucky artists to be on display in the Salem Arts Festival here's your other change to be recognized for your creativity. Submission Criteria: This exhibit is open artists who may submit work in any medium for the juror’s consideration. This exhibit encourages artists to submit artworks that adhere to our theme.
Submission Fees: Salem Arts members fee is $5.00 per image submission. Non members fee is $10.00 per submission. Artists may submit up to three (3) items.
Submission Form: Please download the gallery submission form and provide all required information requested, and follow instructions on the form. Printed copies must be submitted with your submissions.
Exhibition Jurying: Salem Arts Gallery Committee representatives will jury this exhibit. Criteria will be based on execution quality, presentation/framing, and space availability.
- Artwork Drop-Off: Salem Arts Gallery at 211 Bridge Street
- Sunday, June 2, 3 pm to 6 pm
- Monday, June 3, 5 pm to 8 pm
- Notification of inclusion/exclusion: Notification by email by Wednesday, June 5.
- Pick up of unaccepted work: Any work not accepted will need to be picked up Saturday, June 8, 12:00 – 2:00 p.m.
- Opening Reception: Friday June 7 from 5-8 PM.
- This reception precedes the official opening reception of the Salem Arts Festival at Old Town Hall on Derby Square. Join us before heading to the festival.
- Exhibition Dates: Saturday, June 8, through Sunday July 28, 2019
- Gallery Hours are every Saturday and Sunday from 12:00 – 5:00 p.m.
- Pick Up of Artwork: Sunday, July 28, 12:00 – 3:00 p.m.
Rules & Regulations: Please be sure to read the Salem Arts Association Artist Agreement and ensure you accept the agreement on your online member profile page. Non-members must also agree to our agreement provided at the gallery.
Presentation and framing: All submissions must be properly framed, matted, appropriately wired (no saw tooth hangars), and ready to hang. Wired images must have a tight wire positioned within the top quarter of the image height. All submissions will be inspected at take-in to assure they adhere to gallery standards. Submissions not meeting our standards will be rejected.
Sales and Volunteer Requirements: Exhibiting Salem Arts member artists are required to volunteer 3+ hours per month when your artwork is on display in the gallery or the gallery shop. Please sign up for a gallery host time slot or make arrangements for alternate volunteer opportunities. Click here for volunteer information and sign up.
* Non-member artists are not required to volunteer but are subject to a 50% sales commission. Member artist sales commission is 25%.
Please contact email@example.com with questions.