“Works In Plein Air at The House of The Seven Gables”
6th Annual Artists’ Residency with Salem Arts Association Members
FREE - For Salem Arts Members Only, Painting Only!
We invite our members to set up on the grounds during the peak season of the Spring flowering at the Gables; to be inspired, and reflect that inspiration in their paintings.
Plein Air inspiration is a way we can interact with all the elements, we as artists will represent Light and Air.
We will also be working among the visitors from all over the world which lends a lot of spontaneity to the authentic Plein Air experience.
At the residency's end, we will have a one night to exhibit the works of this year's residency at the House of the Seven Gables and then we will bring the exhibit to the Salem Arts Association Gallery to be available for viewing during the Salem Arts Festival and through the month of June.
- The residency will be held on the grounds of the House of the Seven Gables
- From May 14th until May 29th during their hours of operation 10 a.m. until 5 p.m.
- Artists must be cleaned up and exiting by 5 p.m. and adhere to the guidelines made by the H7G events coordinator.
- The exhibit and reception will be held On Thursday May 31 from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- We encourage and ask all participants to bring something to eat or drink for the reception.
- The House of the Seven Gables is located at 115 Derby Street, Salem, Ma. Parking is available
- There's a list of guidelines that need to be reviewed and adhered to for the duration of the residency.
Only painting done during the 2018 residency at the House of the Seven Gables will qualify and be accepted for the exhibit at the Gables.
- You must be a current Salem Arts member.
- Registration is FREE using the button on this page
- Monday, May 14 – Tuesday, May 29, 2018
- During their normal hours of operation of 10:00am to 5:00pm daily.
The following guidelines will apply:
- You will need to sign in at the H7G each day we attend and wear name tags.
- Salem Arts Stickers will also be available to wear proudly to identify yourself as a member.
- You will need to protect the grounds from our art materials with drop cloths.
- You will be able to use provided tables, but not the iron tables which are for H7G visitors.
- You may use your own easels or other tools.
- You will be able to show & sell our work during the Salem Arts Festival at the Salem Arts Association Gallery and participate in our reception at the House of the Seven Gables.
Art Exhibit and Reception:
There will be a one night reception and exhibition of the art work created on Thursday May 31 from 6 to 8PM. After this evening the entire exhibit will be moved to the Salem Arts Galleries at The Bridge at 211 (211 Bridge Street) where it can be viewed during the Salem Arts Festival and through the month of June.
All participating En Plein Air artists are invited to join in the exhibition to be held at the House of the Seven Gables during the Salem Arts Festival following our En Plein Air Residency.
- Reception: Thursday, May 31, 2017
- Art drop-off: Participating registered artists may drop off for the exhibition on Wednesday May 30 from 10:00 am until 5:00 PM or Thursday May 31 from 10:00 AM until Noon. ABSOLUTELY no work will be accepted after 12:00 PM on Thursday.
- All work for exhibition must have its own easel (table or floor)
- All submissions must be dry and ready to display.
- All exhibiting artists need to supply table easels and free standing easels to exhibit their work for the evening of the exhibit since their will be no hanging of art work in the exhibit room.
- Work needs to be dry; No submissions will be accepted After May 31 at NOON (firm).
- Public Reception with food and beverage 6-8 pm
The House of the Seven Gables and Salem Arts are not responsible for any property loss or damage. Artists must provide their own insurance if they wish additional coverage.
Open Air Painting On the grounds of The House of the Seven Gables with Sue Grillo
Sunday May 20th from 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
In conjunction with the residency, there will be a Plein Air painting workshop hosted by multi media artist Sue Grillo, one of the hosts of the plein air residency for the past 4 years.
Sue Grillo will encourage you and help you feel comfortable with the Plein Air experience by imparting some of her techniques and her own experiences with Plein Air painting.
Please refer your questions to our event Co-chairs Sue Grillo and Heather Stewart. firstname.lastname@example.org
Salem Arts Association is supported in part by a grant from the Salem Cultural Council, a local agency which is supported by the Mass Cultural Council, a state agency.